Waffles are one of our favorite breakfast foods around here. I love Eggos – don’t get me wrong – but homemade waffles top it all!
For our wedding we got a simple Cuisinart Classic Waffle Maker . We had not really made waffles before so we started experimenting. We did not go far because we started with Alton Brown. We found his Basic Waffle Recipe and have never looked back.
(Recipe from Alton Brown here)
- 1 c. all purpose flour
- 1 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 3 whole eggs, beaten
- 2 oz (1/4 c) UNsalted butter, melted
- 2 c buttermilk, room temp
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Mix all wet ingredients together.
- Add wet ingredients to dry. Stir. The batter will be lumpy!
- Allow mixture to rest for 5 minutes. (Do NOT skip this step!!)
- Put batter on waffle iron and cook until golden brown.
For reference here is a picture of the batter. It IS lumpy. its OK!
Cooking the waffles!
Optional Waffle toppings:
Butter & Syrup
Peanut Butter & Syrup
Butter, Chocolate Chips & Syrup
If you love waffles – you really need to try these one morning! Give me a shout if you try it and enjoy them!
Edited to add: You can make these without buttermilk. You I have even used 1 cup canned coconut milk and 1 cup unsweet coconut milk (carton) soured with 2 TBSP vinegar (or lemon juice). They do not brown as much but taste the same!